Tabs

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wheat Thins

Wheat Thins.  That is wheat bread right?  Sadly I think not.  I bought it anyway and now feeling some major guilt.  I thought it would taste good dipped in avocados.  It didn’t.  I guess I deserved that. 

I am starting that thing I often do when faced with strict rules like, “you can only eat these seven foods.”  I notoriously take the “rules” and push them to the limit.  Skirting around the edges of what is right and what is wrong.  Rules have always annoyed me.  In fact, one sure way to get me to do something this to tell me one of two things:that I shouldn’t or that I can’t.  I just get this burning desire to prove you wrong.   

As you can imagine this has gotten me in trouble more times than I can count.  But, on another hand Jesus wasn’t much of a rule follower either.  After all, he healed on the Sabbath.  He ate with tax collectors, prostitutes, lepers, and other various sinners.  One day he even went through the temple turning over tables like a madman. 

Don’t get me wrong.  Rules are a great thing.  God disciplines us and gives us guidelines because he loves us SO dearly.  But, I cannot let my obsession over the correct choice in the grocery store cloud the big picture point of this month.  And, we cannot let our obsession of being perfectly correct and sanitized Christians cloud the true, messy, mission of Jesus.  

Yes, it is hard.  Yes, I am so desperately tired of eggs, chicken, avocados, sweet potatoes, wheat bread, apples, and spinach.  Yes, I want to sneak ice cream, chocolate, and cookies into my mouth when no one is looking.  But, even when I am trying to cheat the system, every time I want to eat (which is often) I am reminded of my limited options.  I am reminded of my brothers and sisters around the world who also have limited options (most much worse than mine).  I am reminded of the perfect, pure simplicity of Christ and I draw near to Him.          

No comments:

Post a Comment