Tabs

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A tribute to Apt E-8

After almost a year in our one bedroom, 400 square foot apartment we have moved! The days leading up to May 31st (our moving day) could NOT come fast enough. I kept myself busy, busy, busy with class and preparations for my sister's wedding. However, spending so much time in such little space will have it's effects on you.

I learned that central air, a washing machine, a garbage disposal, and kitchen ventilation, is in fact not a necessity but, a HUGE luxury. One can actually get used to not having them and still live quiet comfortably. I learned that it is not the living space but the love inside the living space that makes it worth coming home to. I learned how to talk it out instead of ignoring a problem because there was simply no space (literally) for avoidance. I learned that I can actually deal with roaches and not die. Please note, roaches terrify me, and by terrify I mean I freeze up, breath really fast, and possibly cry depending on the size, whenever I see one. This is another story entirely, but yes we were infested with roaches, IN MY KITCHEN until the guy below us moved out. Yeah, pretty sure I know where they were coming from. I learned that I can share a closet with Kurt and you can fit a whole lot of stuff under your bed. I learned how diluted I am to the materialism of this world with each break through moment that I realize a major portion of the world's population would look at my small grungy apartment like I would look at a mansion. I have learned how to be more content, but that does not mean I am always good at it. I have learned that striving for something more or different is a waste of time because you will look back and miss whatever it is you leave behind. I have learned that I will always cherish those sweet cozy moments in our first apartment and I am thankful for the lessons of life, love and Godliness that it taught me.



Life goes on though, and we are very excited to finally be in the same neighborhood where Kurt is teaching. It will be a lot easier for us to get more involved in the community, which was our main reason for the move (ok, so a washer and dryer doesn't hurt ; ). Closing in on Kurt's first year teaching and our first year married it has been fun to reminisce on the past year and look forward to what this new year together will hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment