Tabs

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Turning over a new leaf

I started something new on January 1st that I am very excited about.  I occasionally get read Beth Moore's blog on days that I have some free time or need an extra pick me up.  I kept seeing things about the Siesta Scripture Memory Team, otherwise known as SSMT, sporadically on the blog.  I got my answer to what this is in December when she was gearing up to get started again.  Beth and who ever wants to join her commits to memorizing two verses a month, starting a new one every the first and fifteenth.  On these two dates you post your name, where you are from, and the verse you are memorizing.  I do understand that one could easily do this on her own.  However, number one I need the accountability and number two, what could be more encouraging than going to a blog and scrolling through hundreds of scriptures that are being written on the hearts of fellow sisters.  

I have not done this since 5th grade and that was only because of the pushing and prodding of my parents and today I could not be more excited about it.  The first scripture I chose is 2 Peter 1:3-4 

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who has called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption of the world caused by evil desires."

This was a tad long but I came across it in a study I have been doing and simply could not resist it.  Having reached my senior year of college I often become fairly freaked out by what lies beyond this.  I worry that I don't have it all together or all figured out.  I am constantly asking myself, "will I even be good at this thing that I have gone to school for four years to do?  Will I enjoy it?  What if I still do not have the knowledge or information I need to perform well?"  The list goes on and on.  Contrary to this things that Satan wants me to fill my mind with, I do have everything I need, not because of me, (thankfully) but through the divine power of God who has called me. 

Writing this on my heart and meditating on it everyday helps me to retrain my mind.  Instead of a downward spiral of self doubt and negativity I am enlightened by the peaceful yoke of Jesus.  If you have not made scripture memorization a habit I encourage you to join me this year!    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment